Start your year off by making sure all your devices are up to date
The New Year is a great time to ensure that all your devices are operating on the most up-to-date software and that your privacy is being protected.
With all this in mind, here’s a step-by-step guide to help you with these top priorities.
CLICK TO GET KURT’S CYBERGUY NEWSLETTER WITH QUICK TIPS, TECH REVIEWS, SECURITY ALERTS AND EASY HOW-TO’S TO MAKE YOU SMARTER
How to keep your Windows devices up-to-date
- Select Start
- Click Settings
- Click Windows Update
- Click Check for Updates.
HOW TO AVOID BEING DUPED BY ROBOCALLS NOW AND FOREVER
If a feature update is available for your device, it will appear separately on the Windows update page.
To install it, click Download and install now.
You can also set your Windows to automatically update… But should you?
If you’re an individual who never remembers to update your computer, you may choose to set this option. However, sometimes automatic updates don’t play nicely with old programs. So if you do decide to set this feature, be sure to back up your devices so you can restore if anything goes wrong.
To learn more about how to back up your PC, head over to my CyberGuy.com website and search “back up your Windows” by clicking the magnifying glass icon at the top of my website.
How to keep your Mac devices up-to-date
- Click The Apple menu
- Click System Preferences
- Click Software Update.
GOOGLE CHROME’S ‘INCOGNITO’ MODE MIGHT NOT KEEP YOU SO HIDDEN
If a software update is available, it will give you the option to update. You can do this by clicking the Upgrade Now button.
A word of caution: Often new operating systems offer new slicker interfaces and functionality. If you have older programs on your computer, sometimes newer operating systems don’t always play nice with older programs. That said, when it comes to installing new operating systems be sure to always back up your computer just in case.
To learn more about how to back up your Mac, head over to my CyberGuy.com website and search “back up your Mac” by clicking the magnifying glass icon at the top of my website.
You can also set your Mac to automatically download any relevant updates by… But should you?
If you’re an individual who never remembers to update your computer, you may choose to set this option. But as mentioned above, sometimes automatic updates don’t play nicely with old programs. So if you do decide to set this feature, be sure to always back up your devices.
Again, to learn more about how to back up your Mac, head over to my CyberGuy.com website and search “back up your Mac” by clicking the magnifying glass icon at the top of my website.
How to keep your Mac automatically updated:
- Click The Apple menu
- Click System Preferences
- Click Software Update
- In the window you see below, check off Automatically keep my Mac up to date
- Click Advanced
- Check off all relevant services you wish to enable.
APPLE TO RAISE BATTERY SERVICE FEES FOR OUT-OF-WARRANTY DEVICES
How to make sure your Android phone and tablets are up-to-date:
- Please note settings may vary depending on your Android phone’s manufacturer.
- Tap Settings
- Near the bottom, tap System
- Then, tap System Update
- You’ll be shown if there are any updates available and will be given the option of whether to update or not.
How to make sure your iPhone and iPads are up-to-date:
- Tap on Settings
- Tap on General
- Tap on Software Update
- If an update is available, it will give you the option to download and install
- To keep your phone always up to date, you can turn on automatic updates by:
- On the Software Update screen mentioned above, click the Automatic Updates row
- Switching on all relevant services you wish to keep updated automatically.
A word of caution: Always back up your phone just in case.
To learn more about how to back up and restore your mobile device, head over to my CyberGuy.com website and search “back up your mobile device” by clicking the magnifying glass icon at the top of my website.
MOST CREEPY IPHONE SETTING NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED
After you update your software, it’s also a good idea to ensure your web browser is up-to-date to fix any security issues which would help prevent hackers from getting into your computer, crashing programs and getting around your computer’s security systems. While there are many browsers out there, below are a few of the more popular ones.
- How to update your Chrome browser
- Open Google Chrome browser
- Select About Chrome from the Chrome menu
- Allow it to scan from a most recent update
- Click Relaunch to complete the update
- Open Chrome browser
- At the top right, click More
- Click Help, then About Google Chrome
- Select Update Google Chrome Note: If you do not see the “Update Google Chrome” button, then your browser is already updated.
Click Relaunch to complete
- From your phone or tablet, open the Google Play Store app
- Tap the profile icon from the top right
- Select Manage apps & device
- Find Chrome located under “Updates available“
- Tap Update.
iPhone & iPad
- Launch Apple App Store
- Tap Profile from the top right (it looks like you or a shape of a person)
- Scroll down to “Available Updates” and search for Chrome
- If you see Chrome on the list, tap Update
- Enter your passcode or Apple ID password if prompted
- Chrome will automatically update when finished downloading.
5 NEW APPLE PRODUCTS POSSIBLY COMING IN 2023
How to update your Safari browser on a Mac
Safari is a built-in App on all Apple products and will automatically update alongside your device’s software.
How to update your Microsoft Edge browser
- On Windows
- Microsoft Edge is programmed to update automatically every time you restart your browser. You can however, update Microsoft Edge manually:
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser
- Click Settings and More
- Click Help and Feedback
- Click About Microsoft Edge
Here, it will tell you whether Microsoft Edge is up-to-date or if an update is available. If an update is available:
- Click Download and Install
- Click Restart
- At Menu at top, click Microsoft Edge
- Then click About Microsoft Edge
- Any available updates will be displayed.
TOP 8 ABSOLUTE BEST WINTER GLOVES THAT WORK ON YOUR TOUCH SCREENS
Microsoft Edge is also available to download on iPhones, iPads, and Androids. To make sure it is up-to-date, follow the same steps above to update Microsoft Edge as you would to update Chrome on those devices.
Be sure you’ve installed reliable antivirus software
While most devices come with free antivirus software installed, none of them are as effective at protecting your devices or preventing them from being infected with malware as they could be.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
It is important to make sure you have a reliable antivirus program installed and running on your devices. See my expert review of the best antivirus protection for your Windows, Mac, Android & iOS devices by searching ‘Best Antivirus’ at CyberGuy.com by clicking the magnifying glass icon at the top of my website.
Copyright 2023 CyberGuy.com. All rights reserved. CyberGuy.com articles and content may contain affiliate links that earn a commission when purchases are made.